Lighting a coal fire needn't be a challenge. The secret to a great fire is to create a small combustion chamber that your fire can take hold of, and quickly grow to a high temperature.
The video below will take you through the surprisingly simple steps to light your coal fire.
- Always start with a clean fire grate.
- Place two firelighters in the middle of the grate.
- Build a small tower with the kindling. Ensure that you leave plenty of air gaps.
- Light the firelighters.
- Place more kindling on top.
- Immediately throw a generous amount of solid fuel into the fire.
- Close the door and adjust the air controls to the required level.
- No flames should be drawn up the chimney but the window should appear to be filled with flames.
- DO NOT reduce the air flow to the point where the fire is being hampered.
Works every time!
Get stocked up...
For the perfect fire, make sure you are stocked up on kindling, firelighters, and high quality solid fuel: