Lighting a coal fire needn't be a challenge. The secret to a great fire is to create a small combustion chamber that your fire can take hold of, and quickly grow to a high temperature.
The video below will take you through the surprisingly simple steps to light your coal fire.
Before you get started you will need firelighters (we use white kerosene firelighters in this video as they are the most common, but other firelighters such as Twizlers work equally as well), dry kindling wood and good quality coal or smokeless coal.
- Always start with a clean fire grate.
- Place two firelighters in the middle of the grate.
- Build a small tower with the kindling around the firelighters. This is your combustion chamber. For the time being ensure that you leave plenty of air gaps.
- Light the firelighters.
- Fill the gaps with more kindling.
- Immediately throw a generous amount of solid fuel into the fire, so it covers the kindling and firelighters.
- Close the door and adjust the air controls to the required level.
- No flames should be drawn up the chimney but the window should appear to be filled with flames.
- DO NOT reduce the air flow to the point where the fire is being hampered.
Works every time!
Get stocked up...
For the perfect fire, make sure you are stocked up on kindling, firelighters, and high quality solid fuel: