Few things beat a roaring fire on Christmas Day, but statistically the holiday season is one of the most dangerous times of the year for household fires, so take note of these tips to reduce your risk and ensure that everyone has a safe and enjoyable time.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer. If in doubt only use approved smokeless coals or kiln dried logs
- Clean the ashes out regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and allow to cool outside away from flammable materials.
- Keep your Christmas tree and anything that can burn at least three feet away from your fireplace.
- Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packaging in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.
- Don't hang Christmas stockings from the mantelpiece when the fireplace is in use.
- Always use a fireguard in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks, particularly if leaving it unattended.
- Never use petrol or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Never burn your Christmas tree in your fireplace after the holiday season is over. It is not dry enough and will leave behind lots of sap in the appliance.