You are here

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 18-22 November

The 18th of November heralds the start of 'Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week', enforced by 'Public Health England' who reminded us this week of the 4000 people who attend accident and emergency departments every year because of carbon monoxide poisoning, and the 40 who die from it.


Most carbon monoxide related deaths occur between November and February, when we're all lighting up the fire a bit more often. We're encouraging all of our customers to get their appliances and chimneys checked and cleaned before the onset of winter weather, and hoping for a safe and warm winter for all of us.


The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which is given off when burning solid fuel. CO gas normally passes harmlessly out of the top of the chimney. However, if the chimney is blocked or leaky, the appliance is faulty, or if the ventilation is inadequate, Carbon Monoxide could enter your home. It can also come from faulty central heating systems, or gas appliances such as electric fires and cookers, so it isn't only solid fuel burners who should be on their guard.


Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but CO gas can kill quickly, and without warning. Always remember the 6 warning symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness


If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open the doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.
  • Seek immediate medical attention. CO poisoning can usually be detected by a blood or breath test.
  • Have your home checked thoroughly before you return and if you think there is a major problem or gas leak, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.


Protect against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

We recommend that you take the following steps to remove the risk to yourself and your family:

  • Ensure that your chimney is swept regularly.
  • Ensure that the fire has adequate ventilation at all times.
  • Use only HETAS registered installers for fitting solid fuel appliances.
  • Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm in your property.
  • Don't cover or block outside vents, and check that overgrown plants aren't covering them either.
  • Have central heating systems and gas appliances inspected yearly for leakages or damage.
  • Never leave a fuel burning appliance running in a garage, especially in a garage which is attached to a house.


For further information on carbon monoxide, visit or speak to your chimney sweep.